Wednesday 29 June 2011

Wednesday Extra: Altered Embroidery Hoop by Tessa

Hello! Are you into embroidery? I failed miserably at it as a young teenager, and gave up with little hope of ever successfully taking it up again.  However, I love the look of an embroidery hoop and the texture of embroidery floss.  I decided to take my own approach to a hoop with my scrapbooking supplies, including embellishments and stamps.



My supplies:
Embroidery Hoop
Embroidery Floss
Muslin
Ribbon (My Mind's Eye)
Flowers (Studio Calico)
Birdcage Stamp (My Mind's Eye)
Doily Banner Stamp (Maya Road)
Small Alpha Stamps (Personal Stamp Exchange)
Large Alpha Stamps (Inkadinkado)
Cursive Alpha Stamps (Studio Calico)
Staz-on Ink in Black
Acrylic Block
Mist (Tattered Angels, Studio Calico)
Stick Pins (Maya Road)
Leaves (coming soon to my Etsy shop)
Buttons (Jenni Bowlin)
Doily (SEI)


First, I added my muslin fabric to the hoop.  In the future I would like to try something a little bit thicker (you can see my black thread showing through from the back in the right light), but I love the look of muslin. I sprayed mist in a few different colors to add some depth to my background and let it dry.


Next, I laid out my embellishments so that I would know where to stamp.  Happy with my design, I cleared the hoop and got to stamping.  I placed a small book (Goodnight Moon - one of my little man's favorites!) under the hoop for a hard stamping surface. As you can see, I wasn't too fussy about lining up my text, but you could use a ruler and pencil to draw guidelines if you'd like.


I used a hot glue gun to adhere my embellishments and added a few little "birds" here and there with embroidery floss. I also added punctuation to my text with the thread.


I love the idea of the embroidery hoop acting like a small, round canvas.  I'm sure I'll be making many more of these! Have you tried one? Link me up in the comments - I'd love to take a look.  Thanks for stopping by! Tessa

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing, and what a great gift idea! I'll need to think something like this up soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely, whimsical project-- I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment, don't forget to upload your Sunday challenge layouts to Inlinkz in the sidebar!